SVBC is thrilled to have an amazing Policy Advisory Committee. This election cycle, the committee has decided that SVBC will survey candidates in key races regarding their commitment to advance the cause of biking. While as a 501(c)3 we can't endorse candidates, we can ask them questions and publish their responses to help guide voters. We have determined a set of questions to ask candidates, and now we need your help in determining what races are key in your community! We will certainly be including the County Supervisor races in both Santa Clara and San Mateo--but please let us know what local races you think would be beneficial to cover in your city.
The questions we'll ask include:
1. Where do you see bikes fitting into the overall transportation plan?
2. If elected, what are three things that you would do to improve cycling opportunities for your constituents?
3. What have you done or worked on in the past that shows your record of being involved in bicycle, active transportation, or road/trail improvement campaigns?
4. With dedicated funding for cycling projects under fire on the regional, state, and federal level, what would you do to keep those dollars flowing?
5. Ask about specific timely projects for election (eg specific bike lane project, facilities, or components of a bike plan to implement).
If you're interested in having us ask questions of your local candidates, please let us know and also help us out with one or two city-specific questions.
The policy advisory committee includes board members Jeff Selzer (chair), Ian Dewar, James Lucas, and Jeff Miller, along with appointed members Joe Silva, Ann Jasper, John Langbein, and Janet LaFleur. The committee generally meets monthly on the 4th Tuesday evening. Please see the SVBC calendar for location details.